Thursday, April 15, 2010

The Journal-

The Journal, July 14 pg.29
Qoute- "There can be no really black melan-choly to him who lives in the midst of nature and has still his senses. While I enjoy the sweet freindship of the seasons I trust that nothing can make life a burden to me. This rain which is now watering my beans and keeping me in the house waters me too. I needed it as much."

Response- In this quote Thoreau emphasizes the superiority and importance of nature in comparison to mankind's emotions. He writes as if he feels guilt for feeling down and almost as if he is trying to convince himself of how insignificant his sadness is. However, he allows himself to be comforted by the seasons despite his inferiority. This qoute serves as a reminder of how mankind convinces themselves that they are the most important thing in the world when in reality there are more significant things in life. For example, the water that makes both Thoreau and his beans grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment